Need to jazz up your holiday entertaining? Impress your guests with this a-maz-ing, decadent little treat from the lovelies at Yumology.com. Did we mention there’s bacon?
If you follow Yumology on Instagram you probably saw pics of this snazzy dish during our LIVE Thanksgiving feed. They are always the first thing we eat on Thanksgiving morning, and to be honest, I usually end up snacking on them throughout the remainder of the day, too.
This is one of my favorite holiday dishes for numerous reasons; one, bacon. That’s it. Bacon. Two, the sweet, melt-in-your-mouth decadence of the date. The date is a beautiful little fruit we tend to forget about 11 months out of the year, but I more than make up for my negligence with the love I show it November through December. Three, the simplicity of the bacon-wrapped date all on its own is enough to bring your taste buds to tears, but we threw a slight dusting of chile powder on top of them to add a layer of smokiness that will warm you up right down to your toes.
Have a delicious and cozy holiday Yummies. xoxo.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Pit the dates (You can usually do this with a toothpick by sliding it into the center of the bottom of the date and pushing to pit out through the top. If the date breaks in this recipe it’s not the end of the world because you’re going to wrap it back up in bacon anyway — so fear not!)
- Cut the bacon slices in half
- Wrap half of a bacon slice around one date and lay it fold-down on a deep cookie sheet or baking dish
- When all the dates are wrapped add the dish to the oven and bake at 350 for 30 minutes
- Remove the dates when the bacon has crisped and browned around the date
- Strain the wrapped dates on a paper towel lined plate
- Once all the grease has drained off, dust the dates with the chile powder while they are still on the towel-lined plate
- Transfer your dates to a beautiful serving dish and provide toothpicks for sampling
Do you have a favorite recipe that calls for bacon? Share it in the comments!