I don’t know about you, but there are many things I detest about summer:
- Having to wear shorts, tank tops, or really anything else that bares my skin.
- Sweating. I’m really not a fan.
- Sunscreen. I’m very pale, so it’s a necessity.
- Bugs. You can go away now, please.
If there’s one thing I love about summer, though, it’s BERRY SEASON! I recently stumbled on a great sale at Aldi’s. $.99 for strawberries and $1.79 for blueberries! I loaded my cart, and started envisioning all the yummy things I could create. A woman noticed how many containers I was purchasing, and asked if I’d be able to eat them all before they went bad. It turns out I know more about these yummy nature goodies than I thought. Here are a few tips for keeping your berries fresher longer this summer, and a few tasty ways to eat them up.
- Soak berries briefly in a vinegar/water mix, then rinse with cool water and pat dry before putting in the fridge. This can extend their freshness for weeks!
- Freeze your blueberries and sliced strawberries in a large freezer bag, and pull out as needed, or just pop them into your mouth frozen for a refreshing treat!
- Throw a handful of frozen blueberries in with your pancake batter.
- Warm blueberries, strawberries (and even fresh sliced banana) in a saucepan, and use to top pancakes, french toast, waffles, or oatmeal.
- Add berries to your salad.
- Use frozen fruit in your morning smoothie.
The list could go on and on and on. We’d also love to hear from you! How do you enjoy your summer berries?